Friday, February 11, 2011

Smoothies


A favorite breakfast/snack we have around here is a fruity, cold smoothie. I follow The Pioneer Woman religiously and she just featured smoothies on her website the other day, so it got me in the mood to make smoothies again. We had kind of taken a break over the winter. I keep wanting to venture out into the green smoothie (adding spinach, etc), but I haven't made the leap yet. I know I'm missing out! :) But these fruit smoothies are delish. I buy all different types of fruit combos. It all depends on the grocery store and which one I'm shopping at that week. I tend to stay away from the raspberries and blackberries though. Too seedy for me.

Smoothies are ideal for having your kids help make their own breakfast in the kitchen. Roman loves to help make his smoothie. If I'm feeling really motivated I try to teach other good habits to have in the kitchen along with making food.

We start by washing our hands...

I put the amount of fruit I want him to dump into the blender in a bowl so he doesn't get too much. He of course loves to snitch some frozen fruit while he's doing this part.

Next we put in the yogurt. I like to use the unsweetened yogurt and maybe add a little honey (depending on if the fruit is sweetened or not in the bag), but we only had these individual yogurts. It's all about going with what you've got! :)

This step is completely optional, but I like to add a little extra nutritional value to the smoothie (especially since my younger son is in a really picky phase right now and hardly eats anything that's good for him). We use Juice Plus Complete.

Next he pours in the milk and we sometimes add ice.

Then I have him clean the counter because there will inevitably be spills. :)

Then we mix it in the Magic Bullet (those things are awesome!) and the smoothies are ready to drink!

It's generally pretty quiet for about five minutes while they slurp these down. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment