Sunday, October 10, 2010

Columbus Day/Native American Day

Tomorrow is Columbus Day/Native American Day. It always makes learning a little more fun when you can do activities that have a holiday theme. I found a ton of great ideas online, but this website was the best for preschoolers:http://www.first-school.ws/activities/crafts/transportation/ship-columbus-day.htm.

Another craft I thought we would make is a spyglass out of a paper towel tube.
Here are a couple of fun songs I ran across.

To the tune of "Pop! Goes the Weasel"
All around the great wide world
Columbus sailed the ocean
To prove the world was big and round
That's real devotion!
To the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
Columbus sailed the ocean blue,
Ocean blue, ocean blue
Columbus sailed the ocean blue
In fourteen ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue,
Ocean blue, ocean blue
I enjoy making discoveries, too
How about you?
It's also Native American Day and as I've mentioned before my mom works on the Rosebud Reservation. My mom asked a Native American woman to make these for my 3 year old when he was a baby.
I am going to be sure to include the Native American side to the story as well as I tell the story about the discovery of the Americas by Christopher Columbus. I'll probably also include things like how the Native Americans made their own clothes and shoes from hides and leather. And how they are very artistic as evidenced by the beading on these moccasins.
I'm not expecting my 3 year old to have a thorough knowledge of these two holidays, but I am hoping he recognizes the name Christopher Columbus and knows a little about Native Americans and their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment