Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!


I was excited to finally get out today with the kids to help them run off some of their pent-up energy, but the wee one got sick yesterday. So here we are at home again today! Thankfully there are lots of holidays this week to make crafts easier. I explained a little (about as much as I knew) about the Chinese New Year to Roman and then we proceeded to make some crafts. The first one I took a black sheet of construction paper, penciled in some fireworks and had Roman trace the marks with glitter glue. You could do this with glue and glitter too, but for my boy I knew this would be way less messy. :)

To end the Chinese New Year celebration (which is sometime next week) they have a Lantern Festival. So we made a bunch of paper lanterns. This was great for cutting, taping, and using a stapler.

We gathered a bunch of brightly colored construction paper, folded it in half, cut slits, then taped it together and stapled on handles to hang them.

Here's all of our lanterns before we put on the handles.

We decided to hang them up using Christmas lights (using LED lights so they don't get hot and start a fire) across our kitchen window. I found it was easier to hang the Christmas lights, then staple the handles to the lanterns as I hung them. Maybe we'll even order Chinese for supper!

And according to the Chinese calendar this is the year of the Rabbit so when I was out last night I was forced to buy two of these for dessert today. Or maybe we already split one for mid-morning snack. :)
I hope you find some fun things to do today with your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment