Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall Sensory Box

I have heard about and seen the sensory tables they have at many preschools and they have always intrigued me. I had thought that turning our train table into a sensory table would be a good idea, but somehow I think no one would like that except me. :) So to achieve this on a smaller scale I decided to do a sensory box instead. All you need is a shoebox (I had one that was already wrapped - thus the reason for the pink!) and then just walk around outside and try to find things to put inside. I recruited my son's help even though he didn't know what I was doing.

Here's what I ended up putting inside: a pear, leaves, a rock, a stick, an overripe tomato (I am definitely asking for trouble there), and some acorns of various sizes.
THE VERDICT. He really enjoyed it and did much better than I expected he would (shining mom moment there). He thought the tomato was an acorn and REALLY wanted to eat the pear, but otherwise he was able to feel each thing and identify it correctly. Then I let him pull out each item and look at it so he knew if he was right in his identification. We'll definitely keep this box around and try it again with different objects soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment